......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Please DONATE

Monday, September 20, 2010

CMT Awareness Week marks completion of Bubble Organ



INSTRUMENTS

Completion of the Bubble Organ
post by Tim Phillips

Phew, I've done it. I've created a monster, I have a bubble organ in my midst.

I took the method for making one bubble module and did it 8 times (each time a little better so that the last bubble drone lasts about two minutes)! Each module has its own bubble tone governed by the length of its attached tube. It took a lot longer to build than I expected, but I'm more than happy with the result.

As you can see I have them all lined up from low to high, somewhat like a traditional organ. With a little more space, I'm looking forward to future variations in their positioning; perhaps scattered, in a giant circle, clusters, patterns - there is a lot of room for more exploration.

Enough with the words, I know you're really interested in how it sounds, so here are some examples of what it can do.

1. This is each of the bubbles in sequence, from high to low:




2. This is the Organ's debut as a performing instrument:




3. Just for kicks, this one shows how long a bubble module can go:





CHARCOT MARIE TOOTH

CMT Awareness Week
post by Tim Phillips

This week is the first ever National CMT awareness week in the U.S., so be aware!
Stemming from a whole stream of grassroots actions (this project being one), there has been enough momentum created to really try and raise national awareness to this disorder.

This is the website:
www.wearethecmta.com

I feel confident that the CMTA have set up a very strong research program (
STAR) that is making great progress, but I am convinced of this fact due to a fair amount of inside knowledge. The important accompanying task to the research is to create a public face for CMT, one that demonstrates the integrity and efficiency of the work being done, so that people unconnected with the disorder can also recognize the value of supporting this cause. (To see all I've written about the research, click HERE and scroll down).

The awareness week allows the CMTA to bring together all of the individual actions with bigger national events such as radio, television and internet segments, to voice a 'rallying cry' if you like. Hopefully it will create enough conversation to get some decent media coverage so CMT can start to become a household name.

As an interesting side note, I was contacted this week by the original maker of a bubble organ,
Aaron Wendel, a stranger who by chance played a timely part in inspiring the 'CMT creates: music' project. Of his own accord, he had stumbled across my bubble organ on the internet and then wrote to offer his support for the cause. This was an exciting affirmation for the project and apt that it coincided with the completion of my bubble organ!

If you haven't told anyone else about this project or CMT, this is the week to do it. Please help us out and pass it on. In case you're wondering, I'm still very open to making more instruments if you're willing to donate more money! - DONATE HERE -

2 comments:

  1. This is sweet! I'd be interested in participating in the project, but my one venture into instrument building resulted in a flesh wound. But perhaps I can lend a hand by composing some new tunes. I'm guessing there's not too much repertoire yet for bubble organ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiven! I'm so happy to hear from you - I'm never quite sure who's reading these things.

    Sounds like we should keep you away from all the sharp edges and moving parts, but I have just been biding my time before trying to get you on board for some composing! I'd love to have you create some pieces, these weird creations are going to need all the imagination and experience of composing to bring the performance(tbd) to life.

    Over the next few weeks, there should be 8-10 new instruments completed, and I have a feeling none have a whiff of repertoire! They'll all have sample videos etc. and you can start to pick and choose your ensembles...

    I'll be in touch for sure, thanks!

    ReplyDelete